Dr. Kunal Thakkar is a board-certified Otolaryngologist-Head and Neck Surgeon (Ear, Nose, Throat physician). Dr. Thakkar earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Biological Sciences and Psychology at the University of Illinois, where he graduated with Phi Beta Kappa distinction. He earned his medical degree at the University of Illinois in Chicago, where he was elected to Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society — an honor received by those graduating at the top of the class. He also received his surgical training at the prestigious University of Illinois in Chicago, one of the top Otolaryngology training programs in the country. He was elected Administrative Chief Resident by the faculty during his senior year of training.
Dr. Thakkar is a member of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, amongst multiple other medical societies. Dr. Thakkar has been actively involved in research with multiple publications and book chapters on various topics in otolaryngology. Topics include sinus infections, sleep apnea, pediatric ENT, ear disorders, and treatment of head and neck cancers.
1. Djalilian HR, Shamloo B, Thakkar KH, Najme-Rahim M. Treatment of culture-negative skull base osteomyelitis. Otol Neurotol. 2006 Feb; 250-5.
2. Thakkar KH, Djalilian HR, Mafee MH. Congenital cholesteatoma isolated to the mastoid. Otol Neurotol. 2006 Feb; 282-3.
3. Djalilian HR, Thakkar KH, Hamidi Sanaz, Benson AG, Mafee MH. A study of middle cranial fossa anatomy and anatomic variations. Ear Nose Throat Journal. 2007 Aug; 474-81.
4. Sims HS, Thakkar KH. Airway involvement and obstruction from granulomas in African-American patients with sarcoidosis. Respir Med. 2007 Nov; 2279-83.
5. Thakkar KH, Yao M. Diagnostic studies in obstructive sleep apnea. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2007 Aug; 785-805.
6. Djalilian HR, Benson AG, Ziai K, Safai Y, Thakkar KH, Mafee MH. Radiation necrosis of the brain after radiosurgery for vestibular schwannoma. Am J Otolaryngol. 2007 Sep-Oct; 338-41.
7. Patel UA, Thakkar KH, Holloway N. Patient compliance to radiation therapy for treatment of advanced head and neck cancer at a tertiary-care county hospital. Laryngoscope. 2008 Mar; 428-32.
8. Joe S, Thakkar KH. Chronic rhinosinusitis and asthma. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2008 Apr; 297-309.
9. Schroeder JW, Thakkar KH, Poznanovic SA, Holinger LD. Aspiration following supraglottoplasty for surgical management of severe laryngomalacia. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2008 Jul; 985-90.
10. Thakkar KH, Gerber ME. Minimally invasive management of pediatric upper airway obstruction secondary to acute bilateral vocal fold paralysis without tracheotomy. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2008 Oct; 1555-8.
11. Rawal SG, Thakkar KH, Ziai K, Santi PA, Djalilian HR. HLA-B27 associated bilateral Meniere’s disease. Ear Nose Throat Journal. 2010 Mar; 122-27.
12. Thakkar KH, Redleaf MR. A large jugular bulb causing posterior canal dehiscence and conductive hearing loss. (Submitted for publication)